Morning Glory?

Morning Glory?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Don't Go for the Gold

How long has it been since you have given attention to your belly button? I mean really, do you frequently think about your belly button? What is the point of that thing? Anyway,




Today I saw the rain approaching. In that oncoming liquid barrage I saw this rainbow. It may be faint to you because I took the photo with my phone, but one end of the rainbow can be found just to the left of that building with the red roof, extending upward and to the left. The rain was unexpected, mainly because the dry season is starting now. We are entering the season of Harmattan, when the dust from the Sahara Desert moves south and settles over everything. Everything. Even sneezes can somteimes produce only dust! So this short rainfall was a welcome respite before the waves of dust that are intended to last through 2013's first quarters.

To me, the rainbow represents God's promise not to destroy all life again, through a flood. I also remember being told that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, left there by a leprechaun. I am aware, too, that there is something involving the cooperation of light and water, and a separation of the spectrum and whatnot. Now, what I really want to tell you is that I had a chance to learn from two of the gentlemen that work on the compound, Peter and Sakura. Before I told them about my three-faceted knowledge mentioned above, they taught me a thing or two about rainbow folklore from (at least) the Nkwanta area. They told me that its end holds both goodness and evil. Good news first: there is a lot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Now the bad: if you stand in the area touched by the rainbow while its still visible, then "half of your body dies," transliterated. So that is the worst of it. The lesser evil, perhaps, is that the rainbow changes the color of the ground it touches, at least while it is visible. I am not exactly sure what that means, but that is what they told me. I will let you ponder over what is most assuredly unexpected, unsettling information about rainbows that I have heard.

In addition, I want to show you this picture. I took this and the rainbow photo today, about four hours ago.




Those white spots you see are Egrets, the genus and species of which I do not know. Those are some of the birds I briefly mentioned in the last post. There they are in our yard, performing their duty in a marvelous way. Their duty, in case you missed it, is cricket population control. WorldVenture, then mission agency with which I am interning, has a women's conference starting Monday. If we have a cricket problem, then the ten women vounteering their time and coming here from the U. S. A. may not be too keen on an overabundace of little, hopping insects.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts
Get some. Give some.