Morning Glory?

Morning Glory?

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Home Stretch

Exactly three weeks. Then I will be going back to the United States after just under a year here. (I may be coming back for two weeks in July, but more about that later, maybe.)

I have become more confident in myself as God's man (Read the book The Preaching Life, by
Previously, as in during the latter half of my undergraduate journey, I thought that, as I made the transition into manhood, I should expect to finish my transformation by the time graduation came around. After all, there were many opportunities and experiences which had served to stretch me in fabulously painful ways; surely, forces that would rip me in twain should cease their workings by the time I emerged with my first professional degree? Life is not about me. Life is about God. I need God. These are three of the major lessons I have brought with me from my college years, each of which took me months to notice that I even had the chance to learn them, not to mention actual comprehension. With these items added to my repertoire of understanding, I though I was (or should have been, at least) ready to enter the "real world." Then I realized that I was not in some isolation tank, but already in the real world, if only a microcosm thereof. What is a drop of water but the ocean's example?

So, armed with the above, I ventured forth, somewhat reluctantly, into this internship. Grudgingly, at first and for a while, because I thought this would be more of a hindrance than a help. What was clearly an opportunity to minister to real people and in real situations, I mistook for an impossibly roundabout route to grad school. Now, I realize that my fear of failure and dislike of discomfort proved to be the foremost motivators against embarking on this short trek. Had I not trusted the wisdom of my parents over the volume of my worry, I would be in an institution gaining copious knowledge at the expense of the gospel through the relationships I have sought out and begun to develop.

I have gained a fresh hunger for excellence in my craft of ministry, after having encountered those who spend their lives surrounded by churchgoers, yet have no pre-knowledge of anything gospel-related. I have come to appreciate individuals from other cultures who are able to dissect the word of God with tenacity and accuracy and conviction. Moreover, God has shown me that he has children all over this world who approach life from their own angles, and who seek after him with all their hear, and who have struggles just as persistently as anyone else. Those same people would give the shirt off their back if necessary, and before it became necessary, if it resulted in the pleasure of God and advancement of God's kingdom.

People consider me to be a minister, which has helped my own process of self-actualization. I can teach effectively, preach with conviction and truth, study the Scriptures, and make disciples, because I have been adequately equipped spiritually, academically, and relationally to do so. God's will for my life involves explaining what it means to be his. As you know, God prepares you before he uses you to challenge others. I am definitely more prepared than I was.

You know, you should serve this God I serve. He is worth it.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts
Get some. Give some.