Morning Glory?

Morning Glory?

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Shifting Up

10 deep breaths, 2 sighs, 3 oh-my-gosh-that-could-have-ruined-this-truck's-suspension potholes, numerous potholes besides, 2 passenger parents, 2 sweaty palms, 1 much needed lesson in smooth gear transition, 1 i-think-that-started-at-the-base-of-my-neck headache, 1 i-am-so-glad-i-decided-not-to-change-lanes-because-that-would-have-ended-very-badly-for-all-involved split-second decision, 1 tense body including a set of especially active knees

THESE ARE THE INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE MY FIRST 7-HOUR DRIVE FROM NKWANTA TO ACCRA!!!!!

So there you have it. I have crossed over into that great cloud of drivers who first braved their premier excursion behind the steering wheel. How noble the feeling! How uplifting the sensation! How glorious the knowledge that I have joined the ranks of the...blah blah blah. Enough of that. What I am really thinking about is my struggle to find a section of the road smooth enough to get above second gear!

I mean really, the number of potholes was such that I could not tell whether the paved ("tarred") road had potholes, or whether the dirt had been broken up with fragments of erupting concrete. For a while, the dirt road was just as smooth as any other...smooth...dirt...road. Then, we hit some nice paved road. That was like a cool glass of water after a long walk! Next came a few brief patches of broken road, but the smoothness continued shortly thereafter. The bliss was not eternal, though. The roughness of the journey started in the third hour or so, and did not seem to stop until only one hour remained. I wanted so much to go faster, but I was prevented; the road looked to be intact in many crucial places (going over hills, turning corners, overtaking other drivers), but very often it was not. So, I ended up speeding up after one eruption of concrete, only to slow down again almost immediately. I just wanted to get to where I was going!!

The same happens in my life. Once I get some idea of my next destination, I tend to loathe the journey to get there, counting it as a necessary evil rather than an opportunity to learn and mature. The moment I know a sketch of what is to come, I am wont to "kick it into hyperdrive," as it were, moving so that warning signs become a blur and distant memory. I am forced to realize at every bend that the journey is part of the total experience. I am always so eager to move from first to second to fifth gear that I lose sight of both the intermittent stages and of the part of the road directly ahead.

Do not be like me in this way, because it is not like Christ. Make the most of every opportunity, remembering that, for those who love him and are called in line with his purpose, he orchestrates everything for your good in the end. Everything includes the trips and the transitions, so look for him in them all. He will be found when you seek him with all your heart - Romans 8:28; Jeremiah 29:13. When you do start picking up speed, "don't be in such a hurry to release the clutch," in the words of my dad. Do all things well, like God does - Ephesians 5:1.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts
Get some. Give some.